Sunday, April 28, 2019

🌎 🌲 Final Earth Day Week Entry for 2019 🌲 🌎

Earth from Space with Stars

Photo courtesy of DonkeyHotey Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyhotey/6143809369




The old button from the Environmental Club days which I just happened to find on Earth Day! It is a little beat up (particularly the ends of the ribbon), but no worse for the wear, I think. And it is one of the few items that I have left from those days, so it carries a lot of great memories for me! Nothing Changes Until You Do!



Here is a picture of a very similar logo, with the same message, that was on the t-shirt that I purchased from the BCC Environmental Club and, if memory serves me correctly, may even have helped to make. There were a few projects like that which club members, myself included, were regularly involved with. It has been so long, however, that I no longer recall specifically if I actually helped to make these or not, although I do believe so, since I remember seeing the process of the t-shirts being dyed. In any case, I loved this t-shirt, and have kept it ever since, even if I do not regularly wear it. Since it was part of my experience with the BCC Environmental Club days, as well as more generally having an environmental theme, it seemed appropriate to share it here. 



"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed."

~Mahatma Gandhi


"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
  
~John F. Kennedy  


“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.”

~ Chief Si’ahl (Seattle) 


Each year, I try to do at least one article relating to Earth Day on the week either before or after Earth Day. This year, I opted for the week after.

Earth Day was now officially a week ago. So, maybe this will be the last one.

However, I do believe that every day should be "Earth Day." This is the holiday that the world desperately needs to not only understand, but truly appreciate, and do something to make it more meaningful.

Do something to truly make every single day "Earth Day."

So, while maybe the specific Earth Day week theme will now come to a close, I will continue, as I usually do, to post at least occasional articles on the health of the planet because of what we are doing to it, and how we should examine our behavior and, ultimately, change our ways. Have respect for this planet, for the intricate, delicate and, frankly, beautiful pattern of life on this planet.

Indeed, Earth Day might be done for this year in a literal sense, but let us hope that the best spirit behind this holiday keeps seeing the young green of the rising spring, melting the hearts and the ice of skeptical minds about the harm that we are doing to this planet. 

Below is an article about one of the most illogical "values" that we keep hearing about, this notion that everything should always "grow," by which is often meant profits and the presence of more people. Perhaps we should begin to seriously consider limiting growth, putting a cap on it at some point, rather than simply glorifying growth as somehow always positive and necessary. Clearly, that includes banks and corporations, as well.

There is also a Buzzfeed video found on Facebook that showed some of the horrors involving processed meat that seemed worth sharing here, as well.

Here is a list of some of the corporations that you might want to avoid (I know I will try to do so, personally):

Nestle, General Mills, Kraft Foods, Campbell's Hillshire Farms, and Heinz, all produce manufactured foods, and will not reveal where their meats come from.

Some disgusting things that can be found in some of these foods include (but is not necessarily limited to) silicon dioxide, arsenic, rat hairs.

Silicon dioxide can be found in meat at restaurant chains such as Wendy's and Taco Bell


The “Growth Is Good” Fallacy posted by Charles Bynum August 15, 2013

http://www.exposingthetruth.co/growth-is-good-fallacy/#axzz2cgQ5IZ3V




Buzzfeed Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment