Thursday, April 11, 2019

Voivod is Getting "Hotter Than Ever" After the Better Part of Four Decades Together!

Voivod





Voivod has been around for a rather astonishing 36 years. I say that it is astonishing, because the band never quite reached the levels of success as some of their contemporaries, such as...say, Metallica, or AC/DC, or Iron Maiden, or Guns 'n Roses, who are some of the other heavy metal or hard rock bands that came around, like Voivod, in the 1980's.

Yet, Voivod persisted, despite not reaching that level of incredible success, and despite numerous line-up changes and even the death of one of their most prominent and consistent members )not to mention the one who wrote some of their most brilliant music), the band continues to not only exist, but to rock!

Recently, I had the privilege of getting to see them live for a third time, and bringing my son to see them for the first time. Also, I got their recent album, even though I have not yet gotten around to reviewing it here. That will come, but right now, admittedly, I have found myself quite taken by another music album which I have been listening to a lot, and which will also soon be reviewed here (more on both albums later!).

Anyway, Voivod finally at least appears to be enjoying some long deserved recognition and success lately. Their latest album was well-received, and the band finally got a Juno award on this, their third album that was nominated. 

And during the show that I went to, Snake mentioned that this particular tour is going extremely well for the band, which is also very good news! 

Voivod, to me, is one of the relatively few heavy metal bands that I can still really get into, even while some of the other bands that I liked back then now seem, by way of comparison, to have been unchanging and overly conservative and fixated on their tough guy image. This is especially true of Metallica, a band that many would not even really consider a metal band anymore.




36 years into band’s existence, heavy-metal’s Voivod is delighted to be hotter than ever By Ben RaynerPop Music Critic Wed., March 27, 2019:



No comments:

Post a Comment