Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Claypool Lennon Delirium South of Reality Tour - Live at the Fillmore, Philadelphia - April 12, 2019






I had seen Primus once before, at the Ozzfest. It must have been 1998 or 1999, if memory serves me correctly, although please don't hold me to the specific year. Back then, I did not know too much about them, and they seemed really, really weird. Not necessarily in a bad way, and weird music and art does not necessarily bother me, like it does others. I also remember hearing one of their songs on the radio - "Too Many Puppies, this would have been - and also thinking that this sounded weird, but it was also a decent song, and stuck with me.

That said, neither of these experiences exactly made me a Primus fan, or anything. But when Sean Lennon did a musical project with Les Claypool of Primus, it piqued my curiosity, and I did a bit of exploring. And let's just say that while I am not yet extremely familiar with Primus, I am beginning to grow a more serious interest nowadays.

But last night was not so much about that. It was about the Claypool Lennon Delirium, which has now released two albums, both of which are phenomenal. They sound a bit different than Primus, although you can definitely hear a little bit of Primus in them, to be sure. 

When I bought the latest album from the Claypool Lennon Delirium, I was not certain what to expect. But let's just say, it was fantastic! I have not been this excited about a new album in a long, long time! In the near future, I intend to review the album more fully. Suffice to say for now, it suddenly seemed like I should really get tickets to see this show. So, I did. 

Indeed, what a show! They were on point, and the music sounded great! Uni served as the opening band, and were on for approximately 45 minutes. They were not bad. The Claypool Lennon Delirium played from about 10:15 until nearly midnight, so it was a decent length show, all told.

Even Claypool commented that he felt the show was going well, that they were playing well. However, he also mentioned that no matter how good the show was, it would not top the show that they had done two nights earlier in Toronto. Apparently, Geddy Lee (from Rush) had stopped by to help them do "Tomorrow Never Knows," the Beatles cover that has become a staple for this act on their shows. Obviously, Lee is an incredible and legendary musician, so it really must have been a thrill to have him stop by. Claypool mused that he had been as happy as a little girl, and quipped that he had cried like one, too. 

Now, I was not at the Toronto show, so I cannot say for sure whether this show paled in comparison to that one. However, this was an awesome show regardless, and one that I, for one, am glad to have attended! These guys are really awesome, and they each bring something unique to the music, and to the live performance. Strongly recommended! Also, go out and get their new album, and take a listen. While you are at it, get your hands on their first album as well, from 2016. Both of them sound terrific, and helped me to restore my own faith that rock 'n roll is perhaps not quite as dead as many of the experts keep claiming it to be.

One thing different about the setlist for last night's show, and the way that I normally post it, is that I actually got a picture of what one fan, whom I got to talking to, managed to acquire at the end of last night's show: the physical setlist.

Now, I have been going to shows for many years - decades, even - and I am embarrassed to say that I never really even knew about this aspect of it before. I had seen pictures of the setlist before, but had always assumed that it was someone on the inside, in the know, if you will. But this guy was mentioning that he collected them, and had something like 17 or 18 from previous shows with Les Claypool, mostly Primus shows that he had gone all over the country for. But he asked the lights and effects guy in the back, and he got this setlist. He did allow me to take a picture, and it makes for a very cool way of presenting the setlist, does it not?





















The Claypool Lennon Delirium — "There's No Underwear in Space" (Instrumental)









No comments:

Post a Comment