Saturday, October 29, 2022

Movie Review: Halloween Ends

I am trying to review some scary or creepy movies for this Halloween season. And what better movie to review right now than the newest installment of the Halloween franchise, which is out right now?

This is, I believe, finally the last chapter of the whole Halloween movie series.

Thank goodness.

Don't get me wrong. I love the first Halloween movie, which is an absolute horror classic. Even the second one was quite good.

After that? 

Well....

I mean, how many quality movies can you do about a big, incredibly powerful psycho killer, both insane and evil, and driven beyond any reason to kill and do carnage? 

I saw a few of those other movies. I remember the H2O one some years, or even decades, back. Somehow, for whatever the reason, my assumption - obviously mistaken - is that Michael Myers surely would not be able to recover from being decapitated. I mean, yes, he survived being shot numerous times, falling from a second floor window onto his back, and all sorts of other horrors that he somehow managed to overcome. But being pinned by a motor vehicle, and then getting his head chopped off? That seemed like too much, even for this franchise.

Yet here he was, starring once again in another Halloween movie. As powerful as ever. And once again (I hardly feel a need to suggest spoiler alert here), he has yet another chance to kill Jamie Lee Curtis's character. 

Now, I will not get into much more detail than that, just in case someone who might want to watch this movie decides to do so, and does not want it spoiled.

All I will say, however, is that if this truly is the end of these Halloween movies, it is about time. This one did not feel as intense or scary as the earliest ones. 

Frankly, it felt old and repetitive and predictable. They have some jump scares which are, frankly, not really scary. Somehow, the intensity of the attacks and killings fail to terrify, or even mildly surprise. The whole thing is just too predictable at this point. It feels like this franchise lost it's edge a while ago, and should this indeed be the final installment, then it ends by limping and staggering to the finish line.

Not recommended. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment