Sunday, October 30, 2022

Jello Biafra & Other Musicians Share Thoughts on the Passing of Former Dead Kennedys Drummer D.H. Peligro





0As mentioned yester0da0y, Darren Henley Peligro, better known as D. H. Peligro, has died at the age of 63, following trauma to his head from a fall. 

Peligro was the former drummer of legendary punk band the Dead Kennedys. He also was briefly the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the late 80's, not long after the break-up of the Dead Kennedys. Today, some noted musicians paid tribute to the great drummer. 

Red Hot Chili Peppers founding member and former bandmate Flea called Peligro a "dear friend" and "brother" in a social media tribute:

"I’m devastated today, a river of tears, but all my life I will treasure every second," he wrote on Instagram. "The first time I saw you play with the DK’s in ‘81 you blew my mind. The power, the soul, the recklessness. You became my beloved friend, so many times of every kind ... you live forever in our hearts, you wild man, you bringer of joy, you giant hearted man."

That was not the only tribute:

It was one of many social media tributes from fellow rockers, with Alice in Chains guitarist William DuVall calling him a "drum hero"  and Superchunk drummer John Wurster praising him as "One of the absolute greats."

However, most people, myself included, were probably waiting to hear what Jello Biafra would have to say in the aftermath of this sad news, which his former band, the Dead Kennedy, shared yesterday. Here is some of what Biafra had to say earlier today:

Wow. I sure wasn’t expecting this. 

I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. 

Despite all he’d done to his mind and body, I never thought we would lose him first. He was not just our powerful unforgettable drummer. He was a gifted singer, songwriter, guitarist and so much more.

Biafra then shared some personal stories about Peligro, before respectfully ending his tribute in this way (you can read the full post by Jello Biafra by clicking on the link to his Facebook page, which I added at the bottom of this post):

So I hope Peligro is up there somewhere, getting his headbutts from Wesley at last. Forever free from any hellrides from high fructose corn syrup.        

With much love and respect,        

Jello Biafra

The Dead Kennedys were, and remain, my favorite punk band. Think I might get those old DK albums and give them a listen in the coming days and weeks.

RIP, D.H. Peligro. You will be missed. 



Below are the links that I used in writing this particular blog entry, and from which I obtained the quotes used above:


'Devastated today': Longtime Dead Kennedys drummer D. H. Peligro dead at 63 by Val Lick, October 30, 2022:

The drummer's death led to a wave of condolences by other musicians. 

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/d-h-peligro-dead-at-63/507-7c96c4f9-1a1e-45d4-bf69-3bea5df632fa



Jello Biafra Facebook page reflects on passing of D.H. PELIGRO: 1959-2022, October 30, 2022:

https://www.facebook.com/jbiafra/posts/pfbid0VhJ11kYkMN5e9Nz2ZQJLMkoRMXvDGpCqGWEtbYfDJTepMXwGyAyDUEa8N32bJsKGl

No comments:

Post a Comment